Friday, April 1, 2011

Every adventure has a beginning...

   This is my begining of a backyard chicken owner.

Today my Husband and I drove over to a local hardware/feed store in Portland. Our April Fools snowstorm put a damper on the feeling of spring, but it didn't not stop us from ordering our chicks. The ordering here is a 6 minimum order, so with the minimum order of got the half dozen.
  After much internet searching and book reading, I had figured the breeds I wanted. I based my decisions from, cold hearty, large eggs, good reproduction, docile, and no noise. I picked 3 breeds when I broke it all down. They are...

3 Barred Rocks
 2 Buff Orpingtons

 1 Giant Jersey Black

(these pictures are of the grown chicken. I will be receiving chicks on May5th)

So after $12.90 before tax I purchased my first Portland backyard flock. Now wait till May 5th when the chicks will arrive. Till then I will prepare- chicks pen, build a coop & run and everything between.

No comments:

Post a Comment